Saturday, December 18, 2010

Egg-less Lemon Poppy-Seed Muffins for Mom




I always knew you could make egg less cakes, cookies, and baked goods. The problem was, I never thought they were as good as the egg filled options. You didn't get the soft, springy baked goods that evoked happy thoughts. Instead you got dense cakes, flat and doughy cookies, and mushy muffins. I now know better. Ha! Didn't expect that twist did ya?


Now I hear about tofu pureed into cake mixes. Baking soda & vinegar solutions that react and make cake rise (which I personally found very cool). There is applesauce and pumpkin puree, banana mush (which I wouldn't touch with a 346 foot pole), and even black bean mash (no those cupcakes did NOT turn out good). But some of these do work (such as flax seeds) and I am going to experiment with each to see which will work the best.



In the above recipe, which I made especially for me mum, I used extra baking soda instead of eggs. The rose beautiful and the texture was soft, but alas you could taste salty baking soda permeating every bit you dare to bite. Mum still ate them........I do not often make things either chocolate or egg free!

The recipe was taken from the allrecipes.com website.

Ingredients
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup yogurt + dash lemon extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice

I mixed the milk, oil, & yogurt together. Then added the flour, sugar, poppy, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix until everything is wet, not more unless you'd like dense puck type muffins. I usually don't add the salt called for in my sweet baked goods. Bake at 400F for 15-17 minutes. Then top with the mixture of confec sugar and lemon juice. MMMMM.

Now I posted the recipe as I made it, not the original. I did not have lemon yogurt or zest and added more extrct to compensate as well as some juice. My poppyseeds were old, and I used less of them as well. To compensate for no eggs I added a pinch more baking soda, but now as I write this wonder if I needed do anything? I am going to try this recipe without compensating for eggs, lets see how that goes. Mmmmm, mushy....... :)

*P.S- I had heard about muffin tops being sold in bakeries but, never thought a pan existed for them, well here it is....OvenStuff Muffin Caps Pan!

1 comment: